Sunday, January 24, 2016

Course Projects

Concerns about the four major projects:
I am extremely nervous about project two due to the fact that research intensive projects have always been a weakness of mine. Research projects in the past have always seemed overwhelming to me, like the feeling of being buried with work to do. This always brings out my inner procrastinator. Hopefully I will be able to overcome this weakness and become better at the research process.

What I'm looking forward to concerning the projects:
I can't wait to do both project three and the final project. Project three seems like it presents an awesome opportunity to voice an opinion and really test my writing ability (or presentation ability). This project seems like a great opportunity to really investigate a social issue as well, so a great learning experience will go hand in hand with this project. I have always enjoyed stretching the boundaries in my English classes, as I feel that it is the best environment to do so. 

The final project is also intriguing because I'm excited to see how far I will come as a writer and speaker this semester. Hopefully I will evolve as an individual in terms of character along with academics. Anything that will make me grow into a better version of my self will be great to revisit and look back on at the end of the semester. I also hope to expand my variety of thinking and to go out of my comfort zone this semester, which should make for a fun final project.

Planning and time management:
The projects that are research-intensive are going to require a lot of planning. Planning is not my strong suit, so I will have to adjust my time to compensate for the work that goes into planning. Another aspect that requires planning is evenly sorting out classes and allocating time to completing the requirements for each. There are a multitude of steps to each project, so I need be able to plan ahead by reviewing my week's work every Sunday. My time management skills will be tested due to the fact that I plan on getting involved beyond the class room. If English 109H requires six hours a week worth of work, I will have to bend the times dedicated to outside activities accordingly.

Username: Security. "Alarm Clock Clock Time Minute Hour Arouse Bimmeln" 1/7/15 via pixabay. Creative Commons 0 Public Domain License

How high school prepared me for this, including prior skills:
The one skill that I bring from high school is to think independently and outside of the box. Going into my freshman year of high school my brain operated like a to do list. I did exactly as I was told to ensure I receive a great score. I never wrote to express ideas or to get involved with what my assignments entailed. This all changed when my English teacher freshman year challenged me to go outside my comfort zone. This is the main skill that I feel has prepared me not only for these projects, but for college itself.

Confusions about the project:
As of now I think my questions about the projects have been answered, but I will update this post if anything changes!

Reflection: 
Eren and Bianca's posts were very similar to mine. They were both centered around the idea that time management is extremely important and I could not agree more. Seeing other people's excitement about exploring the different genres has also made me very excited to work on the upcoming projects. I feel a little overwhelmed, but as long as I do the work one day at a time I should be successful in English 109H.

1 comment:

  1. I can not have related any stronger to the phrase "research intensive projects have always been a weakness of mine. Research projects in the past have always seemed overwhelming to me, like the feeling of being buried with work to do." This is perhaps my greatest fear with project two as well. Research intensive projects do request that we plan and plan and plan, and all that planning will take up a lot of our designated free time, but we shall survive.

    ReplyDelete