Saturday, January 23, 2016

My Writing Process

1. What type of writer do you consider yourself to be?

My writing style is comparable to an artist who specializes in throwing paint at a canvas to create an abstract picture. I typically write with emotion, which leads to unorganized thoughts and ideas all over my writing piece. To create a writing product that is sufficient for public viewing I spend hours of revising and editing my work.

Peters, Cassie. "Abstract Paint Play Mess Up" 8/30/10 via deviantart. Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License

2. Does your writing process include several different processes?

Without a doubt I am the heavy reviser with a touch of the procrastinator. These two writing types typically don't work well together as my revisions take a very long time to complete. My goal this semester is to hopefully erase my procrastination style (as I do this assignment the day before it is due), because it only hurts rather than helps. I like to believe that I have a lot of ideas that are meant to be heard, but conveying them in a fluid, flowing format often forms a challenge for myself.

3. Does your writing process seem to be successful?

My heavily revising writing type can both benefit and harm the ideas that I try to portray. Since most of my thoughts are random and just come to my head in an instant, I sometimes have trouble staying on track with whatever I am writing about. Add this issue with some procrastination and then you have a recipe for destruction. A strength of being a heavy reviser would be that I know if I carefully reread my paper multiple times, that I am putting out my best work possible. I have always lived by the idea that if you don't do something with 100 percent effort, it isn't worth doing at all.

4. Would it be beneficial to try a different approach?

If I could adapt to a heavy planning type of approach, I think my writing would benefit tremendously. If I could plan my ideas more efficiently rather than rely on spur of the moment ideas, I think it would result in a more efficient writing process for myself. Rather than spending a long amount of time trying to rearrange my thoughts and ideas, I would be able to have my ideas written down and ready to go in the order that they should be. It would also cut out the information that isn't necessary or fit for the writing piece itself.

1 comment:

  1. Note on conventions of the blog post genre: Revisit Step 1.5 from "Deadline 1" to re-familiarize yourself with the conventions of blogging. You're missing one item on the bulleted list of conventions there.

    ReplyDelete