Sunday, January 31, 2016

Twitter and What I Found There.

Does Twitter Have a Say In the Marketing World?

As much as I'd love to highlight the Kanye West, Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose shenanigans, we're instead going to check out how marketing professionals use Twitter and why they use Twitter.

Phillips, Kevin. "Twitter Tweet Internet Social Web Network Media" 12/31/15 via pixabay. Creative Commons 0 Public Domain License

The Marketing Guy


I started off by checking out the easiest way to find marketing content by going to the @Marketing Twitter Page. First thing that hits me is the fact that this guy tweets out links to marketing strategies and all that stuff. This guy obviously knows a thing or two about marketing, as he's getting the websites of various companies out to his 38,500 followers. 

MarketingUK


I stumbled upon another page on Twitter (@MarketingUK) that happens to be a magazine for marketing professionals. This page seems to be like most of the other pages I've scrolled through, containing links to its own website and stories that attract the viewer. The marketing scene on Twitter doesn't seem to communicative, but rather more along the lines of "click here and read this on my site so I can make money off of ads." This is just an observation and inference, it may not always be the case.

The Answers We Want


1. From what I can tell, marketing is all about promotion on Twitter (I would have never guessed). Most pages provide links to stories that discuss popular trends and epidemics. One epidemic I came across was a link from MarketingUK which led to an article about obesity (article found here). The Marketing Guy was the same way, he just used his page for promotion of other articles. Unless I just had bad luck finding more interesting Twitter accounts, and didn't dig as deep as I possibly could. The problem with searching for marketing on Twitter is that all the accounts are built as a service rather than to provide information. I could see a science Twitter page being heavily debated, but the ones involving marketing are pretty dry.

2. I'm going to be straight up with this. I couldn't find any arguing or compelling Twitter accounts. Twitter is so flooded with advertisement in this day and age, it doesn't even seem like social media anymore. I feel as if the site is becoming a billboard on the internet rather than a place to discuss your opinions, unless you're a radical individual like my step-grandma who actually is voting for Donald Trump (I apologize in advance). The only people that seem to argue on Twitter are brainless and usually don't know what they're talking about. Once again, I feel like the scientific community would be way different, but this is directed towards anything business related. Even Warren Buffet's Twitter is simply promotion, there's no controversy on his account. If you want to see two examples, you can refer to @Marketing or @MarketingUK and see what I'm talking about.

3. I learned a lot from both Twitter posts. I realized that marketing literally is what it is, and Twitter is just a tool for people in that job discipline to do their job. I kind of expected this though. Since we live in a world where you can literally advertise on everything, it came to no surprise that this is what most of the accounts are used for. Another aspect that I learned is how to get revenue from these tweets. By linking these sites through a certain link type, these people actually earn money when you click on the links (like bit.ly for example).Another thing I learned about is that there was no common theme to these users. It was just random promotion and random stories that were uploaded to their Twitter pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment