Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Content Outline

Getting the ball rolling


This week we are going to do a little bit of pre-planning by laying out the content that my podcast will consist of.

The content outline


Opening Section: This is where I'm going to throw in some intro music for my podcast. Definitely looking for something upbeat, I'd like to stray away from the super calm vibe and try and jump out to the listener. The biggest part of this is matching my intro music to how I present the information. Basically here I'll introduce myself and the topic, and I'm try to be a little catchy right off the bat to make sure the listener knows I'm a unique podcast rather than a cookie-cutter podcast. Another tactic I'll use is either a shocking fact or a weird fact in order to catch the reader's attention, along with the music as well.

Body Sections: Body paragraph topics and what they're about. My three main topics are going to be: What Marketing and business are about, emailing in this environment, and presentations. All of my main ideas are listed as 1,2, and 3 in the following section.

1. Learn about Marketing and business: This segment is going to be totally based on why the following genre examples in the next two paragraphs are so important to the field. I'm going to describe what the roles in Marketing are, and in higher education as well. I interviewed two people that had experience in the higher education (one past and one currently), so I'd like to provide insight on the communication devices they use day in and day out to communicate.

2. Genre Example 1, Email: It may not be the most exciting genre, but it came up in both interviews. E-mails have revolutionized the world, and in most jobs it's not a big part of the work. I'll do a little research, but ONET provides stats based on how much a certain individual in a specific field or job uses email. It's such a fast and easy way to communicate, but it can also be dangerous at the same time. Ambiguity or disrespecting someone even when it doesn't seem like you are is a big mishap that occurs quite often. So it'll be a how-to-email and how is email used kind of segment.

3. Genre Example 2. Class presentations (or to any audience): I didn't realize how many factors went into presenting in front of a class or peers until I conducted my interviews. One thing I learned from Sameera was that the most important part of the slide you're on, or the topic that you're discussing, is to put the bottom line on top. The first thing you say about the slide should be the takeaway from what the slide is discussing. I'll go further into detail when doing the project.

Major Pieces of Evidence I'll be Using:

For the First Body Paragraph:

1. Marketing is the major communication side of business.

What it proves and why it's important- It reinforces the idea of how important your genre of choice is, which is important depending on the audience that you are trying to get information to.

2. Business is full of different genres, however, the most effective are the ones that get the point across.

What it proves and why it's important- This proves the point that certain genres have a particular place in Marketing and business, and it's important because it leads into the following paragraphs (it should make for a good transition).

For the Second Body Paragraph:

1. An example of Roberta Schultz's emails to students (if willing to share).

What it proves and why it's important- This will prove the structure of the email that professors use to reach their students and colleagues. This is important because it gives the audience a first hand taste of what emails should look like at a faculty level.

2. An example of Sameera Peri's emails, preferably

What it proves and why it's important- This will prove how people in the MBA program communicate with each other, which is important because most people are unsure of this process. Also, MBA programs vary from college to college, so it's good insight on an example of a University's program.

For the Third Body Paragraph:

1. An example of a PowerPoint from Dr. Schultz

What it proves and why it's important- This proves how professors conduct their lessons and it shows the ins and outs of how professors structure their lesson plans (which shows effectiveness of the presentations). This has importance because it gives the audience not just an example, but tips and messages that make the PowerPoint effective for communicating to multiple people at once.

2. A presentation from Sameera regarding her classes (a group project in her MBA program).

What it proves and why it's important- This one proves how to be effective working with colleagues in order to present information efficiently to their professors. The importance of this evidence is that it gives actual insight on how higher level students operate, which is usually much better and more effective than students in my class.

Closing Section: Here I'm going to restate the main theme of the podcast, and allow the listener to take in all of the information. Not too much analysis done here, just straight up statements and anything else I deem extremely important. Lastly I'll exit on a tune that's similar to the opening segment, to show continuity.

To explain the significance of this to larger audiences, I think I'll try to use analogies and by keeping the conclusion extremely short, sweet, and understandable. Kind of like a bullet point of words kind of segment/recap.

No comments:

Post a Comment