Sunday, February 28, 2016

Report on My Interviews

So, What Happened?


In this blog post I will be discussing how the interviews went, and what I learned regarding the genres they use in everyday life.

Tumisu. "Interview Job Icon Job Interview Conversation" 11/28/15 via pixabay. Creative Commons 0 Public Domain License

NOTE TO SEAN (ignore):

I only have one interview done so this will be pretty bare for now. My next interview is tomorrow so I will update this post interview.

What I learned


As of right now, the genres were pretty basic. Dr. Schultz just uses email, blackboard, and d2l to communicate to her students. She also talked about how she goes to Academic conferences as well.

These genres are all pretty similar as in the fact that they are all quick forms of communication to send out small amounts of information. Emails are limited in terms of effectiveness as d2l and blackboard are great for mass organization of grading materials and sending out information about class over a secure network (imagine having to send out information one by one to every student). Other than that I feel that these genres are pretty basic and very similar. I will update once I see Sameera's perspective.

Dr. Schultz said the most challenging part of these genres is the expectation that everyone is always connected and informed at all times. One missed email or notification on blackboard or d2l can result in a world of hell from students or staff. It can also leave out key information that may be necessary for a situation. Another challenge was when the internet goes out. She felt as if it's a win most of the time, but sometimes it can really bite you in the butt when it's your only form of communicating.

Dr. Schultz wasn't super enthusiastic about the genres she uses. I mean email has been out for so long that no one is really "wowed" by it any more. I guess it is rewarding because she said it makes her life easier. Not much wow factor from Roberta.

Emails are found in mass media for business inquiries. I'm not sure how many other schools use blackboard and d2l, so those are a bit limited in this sense. emails can be found through links from blogs, videos on YouTube, Twitter bios, basically anywhere. Blackboard and d2l are self searches, you just have to be enrolled in a school that uses them. If I live in Bangladesh I'm not just going to make a d2l account.

Update


Okay now we have the second interview.

Sameera had the same forms of communication as Dr. Schultz, with the addition of whatsapp. Whatsapp is another form of messaging, kind of like Facebook's messaging app. Like I said, all others were the same.

I'll talk about Whatsapp for the next question. The problem with Whatsapp is that it's like text messaging, it's great for quick communication, but can be misconstrued very easily. That's the main problem that I see with it.

Okay I'm going to be honest here, Whatsapp isn't exciting. Most of these forms of communication aren't really exciting, they're your basic Joe-Shmo type of communication (for the 21st century). As for rewards, they're pretty standard. It's quick communication, nothing more than that really.

This app can be used in academic and social settings. You can't really find this genre in a public place without actually using the app, or by asking others for pictures of their conversations on Whatsapp. So if you're looking for examples you're going to have to get personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment