Sunday, February 28, 2016

From Academia to Social Media

Behind the Journal


In this blog we will be researching one of the authors that were involved in the publishing of the academic journal from the two previous blog posts.

Unsplash. "Typewriter Author Mechanical Retro Vintage Write" 5/13/14 via pixabay. Creative Commons 0 Public Domain License

Who are we investigating?


This blog is going to be centered around Bryan Hochstein and I was able to find him on Facebook and LinkedIn.

After some snooping I couldn't find any major dirt on Bryan. Facebook nowadays is literally just an old man's Twitter, as he just posted basic stuff about his family and studying for his tests (he's a current Ph. D student at Florida State University). Basically he has a wife and a kid, studies at Florida State, and has been working in the business world for about 20 years. 

LinkedIn allowed me to see that in his past he worked as a Director of Marketing for a year at Orion Flight Services. He also worked as a Senior Account Executive for 9 and a half years at Time Warner Cable. He is NOT active on social media.

(Note: Sean, I'm going to be brutally honest in the fact that I hate this question that discusses how this person speaks differently from social media to the academic journal. It's not relevant in my opinion because most of these people I've researched don't use social media except to post pictures to friends that they really don't care about. Not trying to hate on your question but I thought I'd let you know, just a little honesty here).

On social media Bryan just seems to be your basic white dad that is overly hyped about the small things that no one cares about. We all know this Facebook parent, it's a pretty common stereotype that no one really gives a damn about. We just hit like and then move on. In the academic journal, it is Bryan and three others that give input on business tactics about whether the customer matters most. This genre is extremely fact based and uses studies to represent the findings of the authors. The journal doesn't really give me a sense of his voice, it just feels as if a robot is regurgitating data. Like I said earlier I feel that this question doesn't work well.


No comments:

Post a Comment