Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Passive and Active Voice

Today's Topic


Today we're going to classify our verbs into active and passive verbs, to get a better understanding of how the actions are being described to the audience.

OpenClipArtVectors. "Draft Business Document File Filing Office" 10/10/13 via pixabay. Creative Commons 0 Public Domain License.

Revisiting the Old List:


don't
agree
do
claimed
is
go
didn't
become
is
contains
boasts
having
are
dive
is
figure
going
is
made
wear
believes
told
wear
are
ridiculed 
given
returned
claimed
resurfaced
causing
took 
say
were
changed
recognized
dropped

Active (Specific) Verbs:


boasts
ridiculed
resurfaced

Active (General) Verbs:


don't
agree
do
claimed
is
go
didn't
become
is
contains
having
are
dive
is
figure
going
is
made
wear
believes
told
wear
are
given
returned
claimed
causing
took 
say
were
changed
recognized
dropped

Passive Verbs:


offered
say

Question Time:


1. After looking at the verb breakdown, I can tell that my QRG is completely one-sided by general verbs. Another point to make is that the QRG doesn't contain a lot of passive verbs either. These factors raise a red flag about my current essay, most noticeably in the general verbs category. Due to most of my verbs being in this category, I feel like it detracts from the actual pictures and images that I want my audience to see. Rather than say I could use something along the lines of "demanded" which vividly gives an image in the audience's head. So as recap, I'm way too general right now, and need to step up my description game.

2. If I create more balance between the general and specific verbs, my QRG will flow and feel much better to the reader. I need to find the perfect balance between general and specific in order to create a descriptive, but not too descriptive QRG. If the specific verbs become overused, it will look as if I am just throwing the dictionary at my project rather than trying to inform the audience about the controversy. Another thing to note is that by using specific verbs at certain times will create emphasis and make the reader understand that whatever situation is being described is important. General verbs will give the readers information without highlighting it and drawing away from the issue that is being picked apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment