Sunday, February 21, 2016

Brutally Honest Self-Assesment

The End is Near


The first project is finally coming to a close, and now it's time for a little bit of self-review.

Altmann, Gerd. "Hook Check Mark Yes Consent Done Ticked Off Check" 8/21/15 via pixabay. Creative Commons 0 Public Domain License

Let the Self-Criticism Begin


1. I'm feeling nervous, which I bet everyone else is feeling too. I don't know how the grading process will go, as this is a new class and everyone grades differently. I think my project was really great in terms of conventions, but I'm curious to see how well I conveyed my controversy to the audience. I tried to stay as unbiased as possible, while providing a clear analysis of the Abercrombie and Fitch controversy. I'm so nervous!

2. My weaknesses in this essay were definitely the description and keeping the audiences attention. I think these are two of the hardest yet finest aspects to tackle in a project. I have always struggled with the five senses. My mind simply doesn't think in the five senses. For example if I smell food cooking I think of it as "oh someone's cooking food" rather than "oh someone's cooking chicken or steak or whatever". Since I don't think in a descriptive way, it makes it much harder to write in a descriptive way. This also leads to an imbalance of description which can lead to an over description of a topic.

I worry about my ability to keep the audience's attention, because I don't know if I kept the balance of fact and analysis even enough to keep my project interesting. My main goal was to keep the crowd wanting more, and then hopefully provide enough information for the audience to create their own opinions about the A & F controversy itself.

3. I think my main strength in this project was the format of my QRG. I think it turned out looking great, and appears to be easy to read (then again I've read it over and over so it should be). This was a huge part of project 1, being that it's a genre I've never used before. I tried to follow all of the conventions that we listed in class, and I think I effectively was able to create a great looking QRG. The white space in my project was one part that I really wanted to emphasize, and I think it turned out really well in my project. The white space created a sense of flow, which helps the reader stay way more engaged, compared to reading a giant wall of text.

4. Time management was horrible at first. In the beginning of the project my inner procrastinator showed. I think a big factor of this was that I didn't realize how much time these blog posts took. As time went on I began to get in a rhythm, but I still wasn't doing great with time management. I think for the next assignment I'm going to change my strategy of how I use this time. For project 1, I basically only worked on Friday through Sunday rather than spreading it out during the week. The reason for this was because I would complete all of my other homework on Monday through Thursday. This made the homework in English horribly dreadful and painful on the weekends. I know I put enough time into project 1, I just need to allocate the amount of time I put into project 1 much more effectively.

On to the next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment