Sunday, February 28, 2016

My Discipline

What is Marketing?


In this post we are going to look around the field of Marketing to see exactly what it is, and why I want to pursue a degree in this field.

Altmann, Gerd. "Hand Leave Marker Pen Glass Presentation" 8/28/15 via pixabay. Creative Commons 0 Public Domain License 

The background of Marketing


In simple terms, Marketing majors learn how to make people want to buy a product or service made by a company. By using Marketing strategies, people in the Marketing discipline can learn valuable skills in the seller's side of the business world.

Graduates that have a Marketing tend to go and work for Marketing firms, or advertisement firms. Popular firms like Nike will take on college graduates to help boost their brands and products to the next level of selling. For instance, my cousin is currently a self-contracted advertisement employee who helps shoot commercials for popular companies such as dos equis.

I was drawn to Marketing because I saw the opportunity to use my creative side in the workplace. Rather than just a standard desk job, I want to be out and about searching for the newest trends and seeing what the people in the public are attracted to. I think the skills in Marketing translate outside of the workplace, and provides opportunities that other majors simply can't. Also, Marketing is a jack-of-all trades kind of major. You learn a little bit of every business major and put it all into one degree.

Three interesting people/companies in this field include:

Amy Africa- Amy is the kind of person that I strive to be like. She has the ability to speak like a normal human being (not like a dictionary whiz) and she is able to intelligently make smart decisions in her field. After doing work for companies such as Coca Cola, she has established herself as a well-recognizable figure. Down to Earth and intelligence really appeal to me.

Tim Ash- I liked Tim's work and connections that he has made. He has helped advertise for companies like google and Facebook, and seems to really know his stuff. I think what's really intriguing about Tim is that he didn't start off in Marketing. Originally, he worked with Computer Science, but eventually switched over into the field of Marketing.

Andy Crestodina- Andy is interesting to me because when I looked him up, he seemed very down to Earth and very engaged with people. One thing I hope Marketing can bring out in me is a better way to connect to others, which Andy does very well. He is based out of Chicago Illinois.

What are three journals that apply to Marketing?




All of the journals are published online not at a physical location. Psychology and Marketing is published through Wiley's online library, whereas the Journal of Marketing is published through the American Marketing Association (AMA). Marketing Science is published through a site called pubsonline.

All of the journals I could find seem to be electronic articles as this is definitely the more modern way of communicating. Since Marketing is an ever-changing field, it makes sense that the way their articles are released are electronically rather than in a hard copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment