Sunday, April 10, 2016

Production Report 11a

How's the raw content?


In this blog post I'm going to show a rough cut of my Standard College Essay and compare it to the outline that I created last week.

From the Outline


Here's a section of the introduction part of the outline that I'll be showing an adaptation to:

"Here I plan on introducing the argument and the idea that school lunches are healthier than homemade lunches. To grab the reader's attention in the introduction I need to find a shocking statistic that catches the eye of the reader. Hopefully this will get the reader to keep reading. Another way to grab the reader's attention is to introduce a study from an easily recognizable institution or school (like Virginia Tech), to establish a bit of credibility in this essay."

Access to raw content


Here's the adapted part of my outline that is now my rough cut intro paragraph:

            The clock reads 11:30 a.m. and the stomachs of 32 elementary school children are rumbling. It’s lunch time. “Grab your lunches if you brought them from home!” the teacher reminds us as we eagerly push each other out of the way to be first in line. I was last in line, as I brought my lunch as per usual. After a short walk my classmates and I are in the lunchroom feasting on meals, school bought or home brought. I open my lunch box and see my favorite snacks: Cheetos, a turkey and cheese sandwich with mayo on both pieces of bread, chips ahoy cookies, and of course a juice box. Across from me were my friends consuming the school lunch, typically a burger or a hot dog accompanied with fruit and steamed vegetables. What I didn’t know at the time was that the lunch my loving mother had packed me was a ticking time bomb that slowly led to me becoming far too heavy for my own good. The lunches packed by parents often contain foods that contain little nutritional value for children, whereas school lunches are held to regulations set in place by the government. To promote a healthy and successful upbringing, parents should leave the lunches to the schools rather than themselves.

Audience Questions


1. I decided to use form in my updated version by starting off my essay with a hook that involves a personal anecdote. In order to catch the audience's attention, I decided it'd be best to try and use a unique story to pull the audience in instead of going with a fact, quote, or question at the beginning of my essay. I also included a thesis statement in my introduction as well. This will serve as to what the reader can expect the rest of my essay to contain, so that they know what they'll be learning about. I want my essay to be read and not glanced at and thrown in the trash, so I think these conventions will serve their purpose greatly.

2. The introduction is always the hardest part of the essay in my opinion. So just starting it to get the ball rolling was the toughest part of the project. I couldn't really figure out how I wanted to come at the readers and what I wanted the tone of my personal story to be. It was a lot of decision making that is definitely still subject to change. I'd say the successes are undetermined because I just finished it today and I need to take a break before I come back and look at my essay again.


3 comments:

  1. Hi here is my review for your intro!
    http://ryanjwolfe.blogspot.com/2016/04/project-3-production-peer-review-b.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jake, I'm going to review the content of your rough cut.

    I really enjoyed your opening paragraph. You really developed a story and it stuck with the reader. Your personal story not only bolsters your argument, but it fortifies your credibility.

    I believe that you could bolster your opening by maybe including statistics from a study about obesity and school lunches. A small quick fact about obesity could bolster your credibility.

    Your rough cut fits the requirements of this project as it has a personal story, and is engaging.

    Overall I believe this is a strong start to your intro. Your personal story is engaging and it pulls in the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right off the bat, I feel this is a really neat way to begin an essay. The vivid personal anecdote fits very well with the topic. The language you use is very descriptive, which feeds into that vividness.

    I had a couple of thoughts about how the content fits together and with the rest of your essay. First, I noticed that there were some tense shifts that occurred in the introduction: most of it is written in the present tense, but there are a couple of phrases like "I was first..." and "were my friends" that deviate. It might make the whole hook a little more cohesive to have the scene be the same tense throughout.

    I also thought the intro might mesh better with the thesis if the transition started a little earlier in the scene--it could be as simple as an aside like "time bomb that slowly led to me--and millions of other children--..." (or whatever the statistic is), but it might tie the two parts together neatly.

    Finally, I wonder if the examples of lunches could be made a little more effective. I don't personally see how a hamburger or hot dog is much more healthy than what you had from home, even with a small side of steamed vegetables. Is it possible that there's an example of a school lunch that could more strongly reinforce the point that gov't lunches are regulated to be healthy? Or maybe play up the fruit and vegetable aspect, so it's a deliberate, integral part of the meal?

    Those are just a few thoughts I had while reading over this. Overall, you have a really good intro--the creativity of the hook is quite impressive, and the personal anecdote lends credibility to your argument and an interesting angle to start off your essay.

    ReplyDelete